Monday, May 16, 2011

Mashup Songs


Gregg aka Girl Talk performing
Image from here.
I remember the very first time I was introduced to the mashup genre.  I was at Bonnaroo in the summer of 2006 and stumbled upon some random stage, in fact it was the Which stage.  If you are unfamiliar with the Bonnaroo stage system, the stages are arranged as three tents: Which Tent, This Tent and The Other Tent. Confusing. Annoying. Hilarious.  Anyhow, I was at Which tent? Oh yeah, the Which Tent, and all a sudden a loud voice comes over the mic:  

“Yoooo BONNAROO!!! This is the biggest event I have ever played.  My name is Gregg and this is Girl Talk. Enjoy.”  

My A.D.D. found its musical soulmate…the mashup.  The wonderful combination of different songs and sounds became an instant sensation.  Immediately after that summer at Bonnaroo, Girl Talk blew up and today is known by people of all ages.  The mashup genre since has blown up as well and it has even come up in a recent class discussion, which was my inspiration behind writing this blog post...

Some Mashup Masters of Today: Girl Talk, Milkman, SuperMash Bros., White Panda, Ludachrist, DJ Earworm and Weezyer 

Any more mashup masters anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment